Prawn Chilli Fry is a dish that is easy and quick to make. A perfect meal for lunch or dinner, it can be eaten with handbreads or rice or roti.
Prawn chilly fry is a yummy dish that mom makes for us ever so often. Hardly taking around 20 minutes to make, it’s perfect as a singular dish for any meal, be it lunch or dinner. Dad and me love prawn chilly fry. My sis Abby is allergic. So mom makes boiled egg chilly fry or fish curry for her. Or sometimes she has murabba or bombil pickle with dal. But for us prawn lovers here’s the recipe for mom’s prawn chilly fry.
What Ingredients Do You Need to Make Prawn Chilly Fry
Half Kg Medium-sized Prawns (Or shrimp as they’re called in the US), green chillies, onions, tomatoes, turmeric powder, juice of half a sourlime, oil and salt.
How to Make The Prawn Chilly Fry
Wash and de-vein the prawns or shrimp and leave aside. If you want, you can cook the prawns with the shells on too. It’s fun to shell them and suck the juice from the shells while eating.
Slice the onions and the tomatoes lengthwise. Chop the chillies diagonally into 3 or 4 pieces each. In a pan, take 2 tablespoons of oil, and put the tomatoes, onions, chillies, and salt, and stir fry for 2 minutes.
Next, add the lime juice, turmeric powder and prawns and continue to cook for 10 minutes. And that’s it! The prawn chilly fry is ready to serve. Really quick and easy, just like the boiled egg chilly fry.
FAQ’s About Prawn Chilly Fry
Yes, you can cook the prawns or shrimp with the shell and head, they add an umami flavour to the dish and make it juicier as they contain water-soluble flavour compounds, proteins and sugar that get absorbed into the flesh. You can remove the shells later while eating.
The calcium in the shell is good for health, you can chew the shell and then discard it.
Yes, you can use baby prawns for this recipe as well. They taste yum!
Prawns can be cooked in about 5-7 minutes depending on their size, but us Indians like to make sure they are well cooked, so we recommend about 12 minutes.
Other recipes to Try
- Naralchi Wadi Recipe, a delicious coconut dessert
- Corned Tongue Slices Recipe
- Ginger Wine Recipe (Homemade)
- Easy Buttery Oyster Mushroom
- Rice Cake Recipe
- Semolina Date Cake with Candied Orange
- Goat Tripe or Vajri Khudi
- Pork Vindaloo Recipe
- Special East Indian Chicken Tope
- Bottle Gourd Halwa
- East Indian Kimad Drink Recipe
- Mustard Chicken Recipe
You can print off the list of ingredients and instructions to follow for making this recipe via the recipe card below (for home use only).
If you really loved our recipe, please leave us 5-stars with your review below!
Did you try making this recipe? Make sure to share your delicious creations by tagging us on Instagram or join TheWingedFork Facebook group and share your lovely food pics and results of your food experiments there!
How to Make Prawn Chilly Fry
- 500 g Prawns Medium-sized (or Shrimp)
- 8 Green Chillies
- 300 g Onions
- 250 g Tomatoes
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- .5 Sourlime Juice
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1.5 tbsp Salt
- Wash, shell and devein the prawns unless they come pre-washed. You also have the option of leaving the shells on and shelling them later while eating.
- Slice the onions and tomatoes lenghtwise.
- Chop the chillies into 3 or 4 diagonal pieces.
- Add the oil to the frying pan.
- Add the tomatoes, onions, chillies, and salt, and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Next, add in the turmeric powder, prawns and lime juice and cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve with bread or rice!