Rum and Raisin Chocolate Brownies are so delicious, you’ll be craving for more. Easy to make these, scrumptious brownies are just what you need to feel upbeat.
Everyone looks for the perfect combination of a dish. If you like spirits with your desserts, this brownie is a perfect combination of booze and chocolate and suitable for all types of occasions and moods. It’s simple and easy to make, but need’s a lot of patience. You might be wondering why patience; stay with me through the process and you will see why. But, trust me it’s worth it!
What Ingredients Do You Need to bake Rum and Raisin Chocolate Brownies?
All you need is dark chocolate, butter, sugar, medium eggs, flour, 3 or 4 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder, yellow or golden raisins (kismis), dark rum, rum essence, and a little bit of baking powder.
Note: The currants or black raisins have a seed, so it’s easier to use the golden or yellow raisins, but if you have the time, you can de-seed the black raisins and use those too.
How To Make Rum and Raisin Chocolate Brownies?
Prepping before making the Brownies
Raisins: Cut the raisins in half and soak them overnight in Rum.
Measure all the other ingredients and keep them ready beforehand, as you will not have time once you start the mixing process. Happy Baking!
Grease the tins and keep ready as well! For this batter, I used a 9×9” and a 9.5X4″ baking tray, grease the tray well and line it with butter paper, and grease the paper again.
For the brownie batter
Cut the dark chocolate slab into smaller pieces so that it’s easier to melt. Put the cut chocolate pieces in a bowl, add butter and place them in the microwave.
Check on the chocolate every 30 secs and stir till you have a nice and smooth consistency.
Once nice and smooth, remove the bowl from the microwave and add the powdered sugar. Mix well as the batter will not thicken. Then add in the eggs, 3 drops of rum essence, and the remaining rum liquid that you soaked the raisins in as mix well.
In another thali, mix the dry ingredients like flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder. Add the raisins to this mix.
Very gently fold the dry ingredients into the chocolate batter a little at a time. It make take you around 25 to 30 strokes to mix the batter well, but do not over mix the batter.
Pour the batter into the tins and level it. Do not bang the tray or press the batter to level it.
Preheat the oven to 180°C and put the trays in for about 35-40 mins. Check the batter with a toothpick by poking the center after about 30 mins. If it comes out clean it’s ready, if not, re-check again after 5-10mins depending on how wet the center is. Remember we do not want our brownies over baked.
Once baked, remove the trays from the oven and let them cool down completely. Do not cut or try to remove it from the tray. Put the tray into the fridge for 6-8 hours.
Now your Rum & Raisin Brownie is ready to be relished and devoured. If you are a free-spirited person, do not feel shy to add some more rum to it.
You can serve the brownies in different ways
- Nice & Cold.
- Warm them up a bit, and add a scoop of vanilla ice cream with a dash of rum.
- To spruce it up, cover it with a layer of chocolate ganache and rose petals.
FAQ’s about Rum and Raisin Chocolate brownies
If you do not drink alcohol and want to keep the brownies alcohol-free, you can a combination of rum essence and water.
Allow the brownies to cool and then cut them, so you get a cleaner cut.
Yes, you can, but remember to remove the seeds when cutting them.
No, do not cover the brownies while cooling, as that would make them soggy.
Cooking Tips And Tricks
- If you do not have a microwave, double boil the chocolate on the stove to melt it.
- Cut the raisins in half before you soak them in rum.
- If you use the black raisins, remove the seeds when you cut them.
- You can decorate the brownies with chocolate and rose petals or sprinkles if serving them for dessert or for Valentine’s Day.
About The Author: Roy
Where do I start? Who am I? or Who will I be? These are questions that many of us keep asking ourselves. I am still working on the answer to all 3, having found myself at many crossroads in the recent past. From heartbreak to a career change, it’s been a rollercoaster; but food is something that gives comfort and keeps me going. So here I am trying my hand at baking for family and friends. Hoping that the future will bring only the best! Find me on Instagram at Roy.is.Red.
Or If you live in Mumbai, India, and want to order some brownies or chocolates instead of making them yourself, me at +91-9920979603 for some delicious goodness.
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Mom’s Green Pista Chutney Recipe
- Corned Tongue Slices Recipe
- Bombil Pickle Recipe
- Easy Buttery Oyster Mushroom
- Creamy Boiled Egg Chilly Fry
- Khajur Dry Fruit Barfi
- Date And Walnut Cake For Christmas And Special Days
- East Indian Sweet Shells – KulKuls Recipe
- Red Pumpkin Halwa (Kaddu Ka Halwa)
- Indian Bottle Gourd Halwa (Dudhi Or Lauki Halwa)
- Chocolate Chip Coconut Cake Recipe
- Semolina Date And Orange Cake
You can print off the list of ingredients and instructions to follow for making this recipe via the recipe card below (for home use only).
If you really loved our recipe, please leave us 5-stars with your review below!
Did you try making this recipe? Make sure to share your delicious creations by tagging us on Instagram or join TheWingedFork Facebook group and share your lovely food pics and results of your food experiments there!
Homemade Rum and Raisin Chocolate Brownies
- 400 g Dark Chocolate
- 250 g Butter
- 200 g Sugar
- 4 Eggs (Medium)
- 180 g Flour Maida
- 3-4 tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 200-250 g Raisins
- 4 tbsp Dark Rum
- 3 drops Rum Essence
- 1/4 tsp Baking Powder or Baking Soda (optional)
- 250 g Milk Chocolate
- 1 tbsp Dried Rose Petals
Prep the Raisins
- Cut the Raisins in half and soak them in rum overnight.
For the Brownie Batter
- Chop the chocolate slab into smaller pieces.
- Put this in a bowl along with butter and melt in a microwave. Stir every 30 secs until you get a smooth consistency.
- Remove from microwave and add sugar, eggs, rum essence, and the leftover rum from the raisins.
- Mix the dry ingredients like flour, baking powder, and unsweetened cocoa powder
- Add the raisins to this dry mix. Stir this mixture into the chocolate batter a little at a time.
- Pour into the pre-greased trays and place in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 35-40 mins.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Place in the refrigerator for about 6-8 hours.
- Cover with a layer of melted milk chocolate and sprinkle with rose petals.
- Measure and keep all ingredients ready before you start the cooking process.
- Double boil the chocolate on the stove, if you do not have a microwave.
- Before you soak the raisins in rum, cut them in half.
- If you use the black raisins, remove the seeds when you cut them.
- You can decorate the brownies with chocolate (dark, milk, or white) and rose petals or sprinkles.