Some days you’re so busy that all you want is a quick and easy vegetarian meal that you can eat with bread or puris. That’s when this purple cabbage recipe my mom makes comes in quite handy. If you like a tongue twister, we call it baigani patta gobhi cha sabzi in Hindi. Or for the fried red cabbage veggies, it’s laal patta gobhee sabzi. It hardly takes 15 minutes to have your purple cabbage or red cabbage chopped, fried and ready to eat.
So what do you need to make Fried purple cabbage veggies quick?
1 Purple Cabbage, weighing approximately half kg
2 Tablespoons Oil or Ghee
1 Teaspoon Jeera or Cumin
1 Teaspoon Rai or Mustard Seeds
1 Teaspoon Salt
3 Green Chillies Chopped Fine
How do you make Fried Purple Cabbage Sabzi?
Start off by chopping the cabbage, not too fine, but not too thick and leaving it aside. Also, chop the green chillies fine and leave aside.
In a pan, take the 2 tablespoons of oil and make what we Indians call a tadka. Tadka’s give flavor to a dish, especially to dal, and are often added to the dish later on. But sometimes, like today, it’s better to add it before everything else.
So back to the tadka recipe, take 2 tablespoons of oil or ghee in a pan, add the rai (mustard) and jeera (cumin) and heat for 2 minutes till you get a nice aroma or your nose starts to twitch.
Then add in the chopped green chilies and leave for 2 minutes.
And finally, add the chopped purple cabbage and salt and fry for 5 minutes. And that’s it! The tasty fried purple cabbage sabzi is ready to serve with some rotis or puris! You can add a spoonful of yogurt on the side like we Indians do. By the way, this recipe of mom’s is vegetarian and gluten free too!
Did you try out this recipe? Give us your review below! And make sure to share your delicious creations by tagging us on Instagram or join TheWingedFork Facebook group and share your lovely food pics and results of your food experiments there!
Quick Fried Purple Cabbage Recipe
- 1 Purple Cabbage Or red cabbage, weighing approximately half kg
- 2 tbsp Oil or Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin (Jeera) (Jeera)
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds (Rai) (Rai)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 Green Chillies
- Chop the cabbage and leave aside.
- Chop the green chillis fine and leave aside.
- In a pan, make a tadka by heating oil with cumin (jeera) and mustard seeds (rai.)
- After two minutes, add in the chopped chillies and fry for 2 more minutes.
- Lastly, add in the chopped purple cabbage and salt and fry for 5 minutes.
- Serve with bread or rotis and a spoonful of yogurt on the side.