Purple Cabbage Stir fry is an easy-to-make dish that can be whipped up in just a few minutes. So if you are running short of time, don’t stress! Grab a head of cabbage, cook in a jiffy, and serve hot with Chapatis or Puris.
Available throughout the year, this cabbage is a bit harder or tougher to chew than the regular cabbage, but it does have a slightly sweeter taste.
Cabbage has always been around in Mom’s kitchen, her famous Cabbage and Corn vegetable taste just awesome, but that’s with the green cabbage. With purple cabbage, she makes the baigani patta gobhi cha sabzi, and sometimes she makes this soy-based stir fry.
You can make this easy purple cabbage stir fry recipe really quick too!
What Ingredients do you require to make Purple Cabbage Stir Fry?
All you need to cook this red cabbage stir fry recipe is purple or red cabbage, pepper powder or crushed pepper, soy sauce, salt, sugar, and olive oil. Fresh coriander can be used for garnishing.
Optional ingredients we sometimes use are butter, raisins, cashew nuts, and minced beef.
How to Make Purple Cabbage Stir Fry?
Wash and chop the purple cabbage into fine long slices.
Add into a frying pan with olive oil, pepper powder, soy sauce, salt, sugar, and fry for 10 minutes. It’s so simple and your stir fry is ready!
Once your purple cabbage stir fry is ready, you can garnish it with fresh coriander and serve!
As an option, you can also add in any leftover cooked minced beef and make it a non-vegetarian dish. Or add in some chopped bacon, ham, or salami.
Or serve with roasted cashews and raisins as a vegetarian dish. Or simply top with sesame seeds and butter!
What’s Perfect About This Recipe
- It is quick and easy to cook.
- It requires just a handful of ingredients.
- You can make a lot of different variations of the dish using butter, mince, or nuts.
- It’s good for rolling in a chapati or puri with some chutney, or for adding to bread with mayo for a veggie sandwich.
Cooking Tips & Tricks
- Reduce the amount of salt if required.
- Garnish with fresh coriander or cilantro.
- Add more or less pepper to suit how spicy you want it.
- Top with leftover cooked mince for a meaty option.
- Or add in some chopped bacon, ham, or salami.
- Add 2 tbsp butter and some toasted sesame seeds for more flavor.
- For added flavor, toast the cashew nuts before adding them.
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Raw Mango Salad
- Boiled Egg Salad
- Refreshing Guava Salad
- Pickled Garlic Recipe | Lasoon Sirka | Laba Garlic
- Indian Purple Yam Snack (Konfal Or Kand)
- Turmeric Rice
- How To Make Multi-Grain Chapati (Indian Flatbread)
- Mom’s Easy Masala Potato Fry
- Masoor Dal Recipe – Indian Red Lentil Curry
- Indian Butter Beans Curry (Mota Vaal Curry)
- Eggless East-Indian Nankhatai Recipe
- Indian Bottle Gourd Halwa (Dudhi Or Lauki Halwa)
You can print off the list of ingredients and instructions to follow for making this recipe via the recipe card below (for home use only).
If you really loved our recipe, please leave us 5-stars with your review below!
Did you try making this recipe? Make sure to share your delicious creations by tagging us on Instagram or join TheWingedFork Facebook group and share your lovely food pics and results of your food experiments there!
Purple Cabbage Stir Fry
Click the stars to add your rating!
- 250 g Purple Cabbage Or Red Cabbage
- 3 tsp Pepper powder Or Crushed Pepper
- 3 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Coriander Fresh sprigs
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 2 tbsp Raisins
- 4 tbsp Broken cashewnuts Toast for additional flavour
- 100 g Minced beef
- 100 g Bacon Or ham or salami (Chopped.)
- Chop the purple cabbage fine.
- Add the olive oil, pepper powder, soy sauce, salt, sugar, and salt to a frying pan along with the chopped cabbage and fry for 10 minutes.
- And that's it! The purple cabbage is ready to serve!
- Add any of the sets of optional ingredients above for a better taste!
Please click to rate the recipe!
- Add more or less salt depending on your taste buds.
- Toast the cashew nuts for a more flavourful dish
- Adding minced beef will give you a whole new non-vegetarian dish.