We love chutney. Of course, we have to! We’re Indians. It’s one of the must-have vegetarian food items that we grew up with. And there are so many forms of chutney, red, green, yellow, white, brown! And chutneys made of tomato, coriander, garlic, coconut, dates, and so much more.
One of the staple vegetarian chutneys in our home, like every other home is the green chutney or hare dhaniya ki chutney. And for this green chutney too, mom has a number of different twists. One special version one is her pista chutney.
What ingredients does mom add to her Green pista chutney?
Mom uses most regular hari chutney ingredients for her special green pista chutney, but also adds pistachio powder. Here’s her green pista chutney list!
1 medium pod garlic
10 green chillies
300 gms coriander
optional – 10 gm curry leaves
optional – pistachio nuts – 100 gms
juice of 3 sourlimes
3 tbsp sugar
1.5 tbsp salt
How to make mom’s pista chutney?
Mom starts off by grinding about 100 grams of pistachio nuts to a coarse powder.
After washing and cleaning the ginger and garlic, and chopping the chillies and coriander into bits, she adds them to the mixie.
She also adds the juice of 3 sourlimes (around 6 tablespoons), 3 tablespoons of sugar and a tablespoon of salt and mixes to form a fine paste.
If you don’t have limes available, use about 4 to 5 tablespoon of vinegar in its place.
Once the chutney is ready, add in the pista mixture and stir. There’s no need to blend it in the mixie.
Other variations of Mom’s Green Pista Chutney
Variation 1 – Use an equivalent amount of powdered cashew nuts (100 grams)
Variation 2 – Use 50 grams of powdered til aka powdered sesame seeds
Did you try out this recipe? Give us your review below! And make sure to share your delicious creations by tagging us on Instagram or join TheWingedFork Facebook group and share your lovely food pics and results of your food experiments there!
Mom’s Green Pista Chutney
- 1 Garlic Pods
- 10 Green Chillies
- 2 inch Ginger
- 300 g Coriander
- 10 g Curry Leaves Optional
- 100 g Pistachio Nuts Optional
- 3 Sourlimes Juice
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1.5 tbsp Salt
- Grind 100 grams of pistachio nuts to a coarse powder and leave aside.
- Skin the ginger and garlic.
- Chop the ginger, garlic, chillies and coriander into bits and add to the mixie.
- Add the juice of 3 sourlimes (around 6 tablespoons), 3 tablespoons of sugar and a tablespoon of salt to the mixie and form a fine paste.
- Once the chutney is ready, add in the pista mixture and stir. There’s no need to blend it again in the mixie.
- Serve the pista chutney as a spread on sandwiches or on toast. We also use it as a dip for veggies or with the East Indian corned tongue. (Recipe on the blog.)
Variation 2 – Use 50 grams of powdered til aka sesame