Growing up I remember that Masala Potatoes was my brother’s favorite dish for school lunch.
Mom used to make this quite often and it was always a happy food; the kind that puts a smile on your face. Sis and I would eat it at home as our school time was shorter. But yes, it was always yummy! Years later, it was even our most favorite lunch when at work, loved even by our colleagues.
Potatoes are a healthy food if prepared correctly, and they have quite a few vitamins and minerals. It all depends on the preparation. And there are really so many ways to cook potatoes, the end result really depends on you. You can make mashed potatoes, fried potatoes, potato bhaji, or add it to curries. Or you can make these tasty masala potatoes.
To know how to make this quick and easy masala potato recipe, read on…
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Masala Potato Fry?
All you need to make this masala potato fry some is potatoes, oil, salt, sugar, chilli powder and water.
How To Make Masala Potato?
Wash and clean the potatoes before you cut them into 1/2 inch cubes. Soak them in water for a while, this helps to remove the excess starch.
As you can see, we do not peel the skin, but we give it a good scrub while washing to remove any dirt. This is because the potato skin has many good vitamins just under it, and peeling the skin would lead to a loss of vital amines. So get rid of the potato eyes, give the skin a scrub, but hold on to it and eat it. 🙂
In a frying pan or kadai, add a little oil and heat it. Then, add in the diced potatoes, chilli powder and salt. Also add in a few teaspoons of sugar and mix well.
Add in a little water and allow the potatoes to cook for about 15 minutes on a medium flame. As it cooks, the water will evaporate and you will be left with some yummy masala potaoes.
What’s Perfect About This Recipe?
- It is simple and easy to make.
- It takes only 15 minutes which makes it the perfect in-a-hurry-dish!
- It can be served as the main dish with chapatis or even a side dish for both lunch or dinner.
Cooking Tips And Tricks
- Wash the potatoes to remove as much starch as you can, unless of course you prefer eating with starch.
- If you have access to EI Bottle Masala, you can use this instead for chilli powder for a yummier taste!
- Sprinkle a little sour lime juice on top for added flavor!
- It is not necessary to peel the potatoes, as long as they are properly washed. The skin has vitamins under it that are good to eat, so eating the skin is good too!
- For an easy snack, roll the potato in a chapati, taco or pav, top with some lemon juice, tomato sauce, and coriander, and serve!
FAQ’s About Masala Potato Fry
Are potatoes fattening?
No, potatoes are not fattening, infact a medium potatoes has just about 150 calories.
It is usually the cooking process that ends up making it fatty because of added oil. Skip the oil and you’re fine. Or use good quality coconut oil, avocado oil, or olive oil.
Are potatoes unhealthy?
No, potatoes are not unhealthy, they actually have quite a few health benefits as they are rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
Can you make this recipe spicier?
Yes, you can add more chilli powder or a bit of paprika to make it spicier.
What can I serve these spicy potatoes with?
Serve the masala potatoes with chapatis or turmeric rice, mustard chicken, moong dal or masoor dal, or a salad.
How long can you store Masala Potato?
You can store cooked masala potatoes in a refrigerator for a few days or in the freezer for a few months.
What If I Do Not Have Bottle Masala?
If you do not have access to the East Indian bottle masala in your country, use a 2:1 mix of garam masala and chili powder and you’ll get somewhat of a similar taste.
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Honeyballs, the East Indian semolina dessert
- Sand cake – my sister’s glutenfree version
- Semolina Date and Orange cake
- Guava Cheese
- East Indian Kulkuls
- East Indian Date Rolls
- Mustard Chicken with wine
- Turmeric Rice
- Mutton Paya Khudi aka Goat Feet Curry
- How to make Ginger Wine Recipe
- Raw Mango Salad
- Boiled Egg Salad
You can print off the list of ingredients and instructions to follow for making this recipe via the recipe card below (for home use only).
Did you love our recipe? Was it 4-star or 5-star? Please click on the stars or your review below!
You can also tag us on Instagram or join TheWingedFork Facebook group and share your lovely food pics and results of your food experiments there!
Mom’s Masala Potato Fry Side Dish
Click the stars to add your rating!
- 500 g Potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons Oil
- 1 Tablespoons Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Red Chili Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 100 ml Water
- Wash and clean the potatoes and dice them into 1/2 inch cubes. Soak in water to remove the excess starch.
- In a pan, heat the oil and add the potatoes, salt, and chilli powder. Also add sugar and mix well.
- Add water and allow to cook for about 15 minutes till dry.
- Serve with chappatis or puris! (See notes for recipe links.)
Please click to rate the recipe!
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Stuff You Might Want To Use
Nutrition (Per Serving)
Disclaimer: Nutrition Information per serving is estimated by a third party software based on the ingredients used, and is for informational purposes only. It will vary from product to product, based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients. Please consult the package labels of the ingredients you use, or chat with your dietician for specific details.