Mackerel are fish that are found in the oceans worldwide and eaten as lunch or dinner meals.
Of course, there are many different species worldwide, and over here the Indian mackerel which is silvery grey in colour, is called Bangda in Marathi or Bhangra in Hindi.
Although Mackerel has a strong flavour, is oily and the flesh has quite a fishy taste, it does have a few health benefits.
This mackerel chilly fry tastes delicious and is healthy too! It is quite easy to make with just a handful of ingredients. It gives the mackerel a yummy spicy and sweet taste that makes your mouth water, probably much more than the fried mullets do.
Why not try this soupy Bangda Chilly fry at home and treat your family to a delicious meal served with chapati or rice or pav?
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Mackerel Fish Chilli Fry?
All you need to make this bangda chili fry are mackerels, oil, tomatoes, onions, green chilies, water, and salt to taste.
How To Make Mackerel Chilli Fry?
Start by cleaning and washing the mackerels. We cut the mackerel into 3 parts – head, body, and tail. And if you’re wondering, yes we eat heads, most of our relatives do. Most of our culture does. And if you can’t take it from me, take it from my sis Abby – she says the fish heads and eyes are the yummiest parts of the fish!
Now, cut the tomatoes into wedges and the onions into fine slices. Heat oil in a frying pan. Add the cut tomatoes and onions and fry until the tomatoes soften and the onions are glassy; as this gives them a sweeter taste.
Then add in the green chilies, water, and salt and mix well. Lastly, add in the mackerel pieces and cook until done.
Your fish is ready in less than 20 minutes. Doesn’t it look delicious, the spiciness of the chili and the sweetness of the onions give the dish an amazing flavour!
Cooking Tips And Tricks
- Fry the onions till glassy as this adds to the sweetness of the dish.
- The green chillies provide a lovely spicyness that makes your mouth water.
- You can add a bit of ginger garlic paste if you want to.
- We use regular cooking oil but you can opt for olive oil or even mustard oil for more flavour.
- Mom uses this recipe to cook sardines and a few other fish too!
- If you want a simple fish fry, try fried pakat or fried mudskippers.
FAQ’s About Mackerel Chilli Fry
How long can you store Mackerel Chilly fry?
Mackerel chili fry can be stored in an air-tight container in a refrigerator for about 2-3 days and in a freezer for 3 months. Thaw before eating and reheat.
Even the fresh fish can be stored in the freezer for months. In this case, thaw before cooking.
Are Mackerel bones edible?
Some of the smaller bones are edile, however, the backbone can be removed by lifting it from the head to the tail. Also, it depends on the way it is cooked. We usually just chew whatever bones are left in the fish the way we chew the chicken bones from the soup.
Is Mackerel a good fish to eat?
Yes, mackerel does have a few nutritional health benefits, from fatty oils to magnesium, from iron to omega 3 fatty acids, and more. Mackerels are very healthy fish meat, but it’s better to ask your nutritionist for that info.
What does mackerel taste like?
Mackerel has quite a ‘fishy’ fish taste . It is strong, oily, flavourful, and has a slight sweetness to it.
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Easy Homemade Fennel Appetizer
- Indian Purple Yam Snack (Konfal Or Kand)
- Refreshing Guava Salad
- Bhokache Varias | Orias | East Indian Wedding Bread
- Indian Butter Beans Curry (Mota Vaal Curry)
- Honey And Mustard Glazed Roast Gammon
- East Indian Chicken Liver Stuffing – Giblet Stuffing
- Eggless East-Indian Nankhatai Recipe
You can print off the list of ingredients and instructions to follow for making this recipe via the recipe card below (for home use only).
Did you love our recipe? Was it 4-star or 5-star? Please click on the stars or your review below!
You can also tag us on Instagram or join TheWingedFork Facebook group and share your lovely food pics and results of your food experiments there!
Tasty Mackerel Chili Fry – Soupy Bangda Fish Stew
Click the stars to add your rating!
- 6 Mackerel
- 2 Tablespoons Oil
- 2 Tomatoes Chopped in wedges
- 2 Onions Finely sliced
- 4 Green Chillies – Fresh
- 200 milliliter Water
- 0.75 teaspoon Salt Or 1 teaspoon Sea salt
- Cut the tomatoes in wedges and slice the onions fine.
- Clean and wash the mackerels. Cut each fish into 3 parts – head, body & tail.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add the onions and tomatoes.
- Stir fry for about 5 mins until the onions are glassy and the tomatoes soften.
- Add in the green chilies, salt, water and mackerels.
- Cook for about 10 more mins until the mackerels are done.
Please click to rate the recipe!
- Frying the onions till glassy adds a certain sweetness to the dish.
- The green chillies provide a lovely spiciness that makes your mouth water.
- We use regular cooking oil, but sometimes we use olive oil or even mustard oil for more flavour. It’s really up to you which you choose.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Stuff You Might Want To Use
Nutrition (Per Serving)
Disclaimer: Nutrition Information per serving is estimated by a third party software based on the ingredients used, and is for informational purposes only. It will vary from product to product, based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients. Please consult the package labels of the ingredients you use, or chat with your dietician for specific details.