And then there was the child in India called Arnav who loved Lightning McQueen. So his mom ordered a Lightning McQueen cake from my sister, Sarah for his 4th birthday. And although we’ve seen a few lightning McQueen cakes before, we haven’t seen one with a checkerboard sponge inside.
So Sarah set out on her voyage to craft a one and a half kg Lightning McQueen cake with her trusty sidekick, me.
The tricky bit wasn’t just the outside, but the inside too. Arnav loves chocolate sponge. So Arnav’s mom Akshata asked for a checkerboard sponge on the inside with chocolate ganache.
Creating the sponge checkerboard
Sarah started out with three bright colored sponge cakes – blue, yellow and pink.
Now if I know anything about checkerboard cakes, it’s that they require time and precision, and are almost always round. So a rectangular checkerboard was interesting to work on.
Sarah cut the sponge into long strips, most of them flat and some of them with a mound in the center. She then created a finishing line base of fondant and started building the cake on it.
Ganache and fondant
She worked on lathering the strips with a chocolate ganache to hold them together, while I worked on stealing away spoonfuls of ganache when she wasn’t looking. Good working together! The ganache was followed by a fine layer of cashew marzipan to mould the car. You’d think that ganache and fondant might not go together, but they actually taste amazing.
The marzipan layer was covered by a layer of red fondant. Yeah, I know the fondant pic looks like it came out of a Friday the 13th movie. That’s why I had to have it on here, despite Sarah’s voiced protests.
Crafting the car
Anyways, post that I was put to work on creating doors, windows and eyes for Lightning McQueen. So I couldn’t take any pictures. Anyways, the final product did look pretty good! And I managed to take pictures from different angles before Arnav’s dad came over to pick it up.
The next couple of pics were sent across to us by Arnav’s mom Akshata. He looks really pleased with the cake.
If you want to read about the balloon heart cake too, click here! Otherwise, here’s the full printable recipe for how to make a lightning McQueen birthday cake.
Lightning McQueen Checkerboard sponge Cake
- 200 gms Refined flour
- 160 gms Sugar
- 2 tbsp Baking Powder
- 4 nos Eggs
- 200 gms Butter
- 10 mls Glycerine
- 10 mls Essence (Vanilla or other flavors)
- 10 drops Fod coloring different colors
- 150 gms Cashewnuts or Almonds (finely ground)
- 300 gms Sugar
- 150 mls Water
- 1.5 tbsp Liquid glucose
- .75 tbsp Almond essence
- 600 gms Icing sugar
- 45 gms Liquid glucose
- 1.5 nos Egg whites
- 6 drops Citric Solution
- 5 drops Flavoring
- 100 ml Thick cream
- 50 gms Milk chocolate lighter chocolate since these are kids
- Beat eggs in a bowl.
- Add butter and sugar and mix together.
- Add glycerine and mix again.
- Sift in refined flour and baking powder.
- Separate the mixture into 3 or 4 bowls.
- Add different colors and flavoring to each bowl.
- Line baking trays with parchment or tissue paper.
- Pour in the mixture and bake for 45 minutes. (Depending on your oven.)
- Grind cashewnuts or almonds to a fine paste and set aside.
- Boil sugar in water till reduced to half.
- Add in the cashewnut or almond paste and stir constantly. Ensure that it does not stick to the bottom of the vessel or it will burn.
- Add in the almond essence and continue to stir till quite dry.
- Take the mixture of the stove and cool for a minute.
- Add in the glycerine and mix well.
- Pour the mixture onto a cake board or a large open tray and let it thicken/cool or a few minutes.
- Once okay to touch, knead into a smooth ball.
- Once completely cooled down, put the marzipan ball in an airtight container and set aside.
- Melt glucose in a double boiler.
- Add essence and stir well.
- In another vessel, lightly beat egg whites and essence together.
- Take a quarter of the icing sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Add the egg white mixture and the glucose mixture to the sugar and blend well.
- Keep adding sugar until not too sticky.
- Next pour the mixture and the rest of the sugar onto a flatboard, and knead well till it forms a soft and non-sticky ball.
- Keep in an airtight container till ready to use.
Putting together the whole cake
- Cut the sponge into long strips that are 1 inch thick.
- Add different colors to the fondant and store in the airtight container.
- On a cakeboard, roll out white fondant in the shape of a road.
- Add black fondant squares to the white fondant to look like a finishing line.
- Place the sponge strips on the road in the shape of a car.
- Roll out marzipan and cover the car completely.
- Roll out red fondant and cover the car completely.
- Look at pictures of Lightning McQueen and decorate as required.
- Polish the cake with a mix of one part glucose to nine parts water.
- Beam with joy ant what you’ve accomplished.
- Double boil the cream till almost boiling point and take off the burner.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and add to the cream.
- Stir well and use.
This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read the disclaimer.