This homemade creamy tomato soup recipe is the perfect variation of the simple tomato soup recipe. Why? It has carrots adding natural sweetness and turmeric powder for a dose of health. Here’s how to make this carrot and tomato soup recipe Indian style, or rather my mom’s style!
My sis loves mom’s homemade egg drop chicken soup. Me, I love all mom’s soups! She makes some of the best Indian soup recipes! Beetroot soup, cabbage soup, beef soup, chicken soup and especially her cream of tomato soup recipe!
Why is mom’s Tomato Soup with fresh tomatoes so good? What are the Tomato and Carrot Soup Ingredients?
Because it has a mix of ingredients. It’s not just tomato and basil. It”s made of tangy tomatoes, juicy carrots, sweet red onions, spicy chillies and garlic, pungent cloves and healing turmeric. It also includes salt, baking soda, coriander, milk and cream.
Why does mom add carrots in her homemade tomato soup?
Mom adds carrots to her tomato soup to give it a natural thickness and natural sweetness.
Why does mom add turmeric to her fresh tomato soup recipe? Because turmeric contains curcumin which is really healthy and has antiseptic properties.
How to make Tomato Soup with fresh tomatoes?
Cut the tomatoes, carrots, garlic, chillies, and red onion into pieces and grind them to a paste in the mixer-grinder. Pour the paste into a deep vessel (pot or pan) with 750 ml water, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1 teaspoon turmeric powder. Allow it to boil for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, add about 1/4 tsp baking soda to reduce acidity. The baking soda reacting with the acids in the tomato cause a froth. So be prepared to stir briskly. Why are we adding baking soda? Because tomato is naturally acidic, it gives some people heartburn. The baking soda neutralises the acids in the tomato soup to prevent heartburn and acid reflux.
After the frothing is over, add 250 ml milk and continue to boil for 3 minutes. If you’re vegan, you can use 250 ml of coconut milk or 2 tablespoons of cornflour instead.
Once ready, pour into 4 bowls, add a dollop of cream on top of each, sprinkle with chopped coriander and serve. It’s perfect just plain, or with some butter garlic toast or buttered naan bread!
This vegetarian tomato soup recipe is for four single servings. So if you want seconds, double the recipe.
Cooking Tips and Tricks
- This tomato and carrot soup is gluten-free.
- Even though the baking soda is optional, add it to reduce the acidity and prevent heartburn or acid reflux.
- Adding baking soda before you add the milk in prevents the milk from curdling.
- If you want the soup to be naturally thicker, throw in an extra carrot or two.
- You can store the leftover soup in the freezer for another time. Just remember to store it in an airtight container.
Popular questions for this Tomato Carrot Soup Recipe
Yes, you can make this easy tomato soup recipe without milk. But, milk adds a nice creamy texture to the soup. And if you’re not allergic, it’s better to add it. Otherwise, you can substitute the milk with an equal amount of coconut or almond milk. Use almond milk for a more neutral flavour.
Yes, if you want to make this tomato soup recipe vegan, use either 250 ml of coconut milk or 2 tablespoons of cornflour instead of the milk. Also, skip the 4 tablespoons of cream.
We Indians add turmeric to soup and almost everything else because it contains curcumin. Curcumin is a compound that is naturally antiseptic and has healing properties.
You can make tomato soup with just plain tomatoes, but tomato soup made with carrots in it is naturally sweet. So it’s the perfect recipe for kids without giving them any added sugar.
Other Recipes that you might like!
- Chicken Soup with egg drop
- Chicken tope, a gluten-free dish made with beaten rice
- Fried Brinjal Recipe
- Warming Kimad Drink with Brandy
- Mutton Paya Curry
- Coconut Cordial Dessert, pink pieces like my granny loved
- Easy Cabbage and Corn Vegetable
- Traditional East Indian Mango Chutney
- Homemade Ginger Wine Recipe
- Custard Powder Cookies
- Buttery Oyster Mushroom Recipe
Did you try making this recipe? Give us your review below! And make sure to share your delicious creations by tagging us on Instagram or join TheWingedFork Facebook group and share your lovely food pics and results of your food experiments there!
Homemade Tomato Soup with Carrots
- 3 Tomatoes Large
- 2 Carrots Large
- 1 Green Chilly
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Red Onion Large
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 750 ml Water
- 250 ml Milk See notes for vegan substitutes.
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 0.25 tsp Baking Soda
- 4 tbsp Cream Thick (Optional) See notes for vegan substitutes.
- 1 tbsp Coriander (Cilantro) (Optional)
- Cut the tomatoes, onion, garlic, chillies and carrots into rough pieces and grind to a paste in the mixer-grinder.
- Empty the paste in a deep pot or pan. Add the turmeric powder, salt and water and boil for 10 minutes.
- While the soup is boiling, chop the coriander and leave aside.
- Now add the quarter teaspoon of baking soda to neturalise the acids in the tomato soup. It will cause it to froth. So stir briskly.
- Lastly, add in the milk and allow to boil for another 3 minutes. And the soup is ready!
- Pour into 4 soup bowls. Top each with a dollop of thick cream and sprinkle with the chopped corander or cilantro, and serve.
- You can skip the dollop of cream and the coriander if you want to.
- If you want to make this tomato soup recipe vegan, replace the 250 ml of milk with either 250 ml of coconut milk or 2 tablespoons of cornflour. Also skip the 4 tablespoons of cream.
- You can serve this soup with buttered toast or pieces of buttered naan.
- The baking soda reduces the acidity of the soup and prevents the milk from curdling.