Looking for a delicious and vegan ratatouille recipe? This baked vegan ratatouille is not only quick to prepare but also super healthy and nutritious. It’s a light and easy dinner that is gluten-free and vegan. This recipe is definitely a crowd-pleaser and also a great way to get your daily dose of veggies in! It also goes well with this Summer Tomato Galette or this Healthy Vegan Spinach Tomato Quiche.
What is Ratatouille?
Ratatouille is a traditional French vegetable stew that is typically made of eggplant, zucchini, tomato, onion and garlic as well as seasonings like thyme and basil. The ingredients can either be cooked together until tender or cooked separately and combined after.
This easy ratatouille dish is a popular and versatile recipe. It can be either consumed hot or cold. Ratatouille can be served as an appetizer, side dish or even as a main course.
Ingredients you will need
- Yellow and green zucchini: I love adding two different types of zucchini in here. This will help to add more variety and color to this ratatouille!
- Eggplant: Eggplants are always a great addition to your meals. In fact, they can help boost your immunity, protect your arteries and regulate blood pressure. Plus they go really well with zucchinis.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes are not only a great source of vitamins but also can boost your digestive help and protect your heart health. They are juicy and a great addition to this meal.
- Tomato sauce: I love using chunky tomato sauce for this recipe, but you can use regular tomato sauce that is completely smooth as well.
- Garlic: Garlic works great for adding additional flavor to the tomato sauce.
- Thyme and Basil: In my opinion, using fresh herbs can definitely bring a dish to the next level! It is an easy way to take a recipe from basic to brilliant. In addition, they are full of antioxidants and nutrients.
- Seasoning: Seasoning like salt, pepper and a little bit of chili powder does do real wonders here! Yum!
How to make Baked Vegan Ratatouille
Step 1: Prepare the sauce by adding the tomato sauce, minced garlic and some seasoning to a mixing bowl.
Step 2: In a baking dish, add the prepared sauce then simply layer out your thinly sliced vegetables.
Step 3: Bake in the oven for about 60 minutes or until the veggies are soft and the tomato sauce at the bottom is bubbling.
Step 4: Garnish with additional chopped fresh herbs. Serve warm or cold!
Tips on how to make the best Vegan Ratatouille
- Use high-quality vegetables if you can! If you have the possibility I’d highly recommend visiting a farmers market near your area and purchasing your veggies there. This dish does contain very few ingredients and therefore the flavor of the veggies is super important!
- If you have to swap out some of the ingredients for some reason, I’d recommend sticking to vegetables like potatoes, bell pepper or squash.
- Don’t skip the fresh herbs! Fresh herbs are super important in this dish as they provide a variety of different flavors.
- If you like, you can also finish off the ratatouille by drizzling on a little bit of high-quality olive oil. I personally love to use extra virgin olive oil as it is made from pure, cold-pressed olives and has undergone less processing than regular olive oil.
About the Author from About Annella
I’m Anna, the blogger behind the food blog About Annella. I am passionate about healthy eating, creating delicious recipes and living a mindful lifestyle. My mission is to share healthy recipes that are fun, easy-to-follow and actually taste good.
On my blog, I share plant-powered recipes each week, that you can recreate in your own kitchen and enjoy! My focus is to create recipes that not only nourish your body but also taste delicious. When I am not in the kitchen, you will most likely find me practicing yoga, exploring flea markets and art exhibitions or visiting the farmers market.
If you enjoyed this post, make sure to check out my other healthy recipes on my blog! You will find many nourishing meal ideas including breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert. You can also find me on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook.
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Rose Petal and Coconut Barfi
- Kele Ki Barfi – Indian Ripe Banana Dessert
- Purple Cabbage Stir Fry
- Refreshing Guava Salad
- Mom’s Easy Masala Potato fry
- Kwareżimal — Malta’s popular Lenten sweet
- 50+ Savoury Mushroom Recipes
- 30+ Unusual Pancake Recipes
- 25+ Amazing Easter Dessert Recipes
- Easy Valentine’s Day Dessert Recipes
- Eggless East-Indian Nankhatai Recipe
- Indian Purple Yam Snack (Konfal or Kand)
- East Indian Guava Cheese Recipe
You can print off the list of ingredients and instructions to follow for making this recipe via the recipe card below (for home use only).
If you really loved our recipe, please leave us 5-stars with your review below!
Did you try making this recipe? Make sure to share your delicious creations by tagging us on Instagram or join TheWingedFork Facebook group and share your lovely food pics and results of your food experiments there!
Easy Vegan Ratatouille Recipe
Click the stars to add your rating!
- 1 Yellow Zucchini Large, Sliced
- 1 Green Zucchini Large, Sliced
- 1 Eggplant Large, Sliced
- 4 Tomatoes Medium, Sliced
- 2.5 cups Tomato Sauce
- 2 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 1 tsp Salt
- 0.5 tsp Black Pepper
- 0.25 tsp Chili Powder
- 2 tbsp Basil Fresh, Finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Thyme Fresh, Detached from the stem
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the tomato sauce, minced garlic, salt, pepper, chilli powder, fresh basil and thyme. Mix until everything is combined.
- Pour the prepared tomato sauce into a baking dish. Over the sauce, start layering out the veggies in alternating patterns (e.g.: green zucchini, eggplant, yellow zucchini, tomato – repeat). Repeat until you've used up all your veggie slices and filled the baking dish.
- Cover the baking dish with some foil and place it in the oven for about 45 minutes. Then, uncover and bake for a further 10-15 minutes, or until the edges are caramelized. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before serving.
- Garnish with fresh basil and thyme. Enjoy!