Sesame Potato is an easy-to-make side dish that tastes really delicious. Taking just about 20 minutes to cook, this yummy side dish can be served plain or with green chutney!
Potatoes can be used in a variety of ways to create numerous dishes, either as the star of the dish like in a batata bhaji or as a side dish like the chilly and potato fry that we make. With quite a few nutritional qualities, the potato is a good quick fix if you’re ever wondering what to cook for starters and running short of time. Add in the sesame and you’ve got quite a healthy meal. So try this easy-to-make sesame masala potato dish that is just delish!
What ingredients do you need to make this Sesame Potato Side Dish?
All you need to make this dish is potatoes, water, oil, chilli powder, salt, sugar, black and white sesame seeds.
How to Make this Easy Sesame Potato Side Dish?
You start by washing the potatoes and removing any dirt and potato eyes.
Put the potatoes in a pressure cooker and allow them to boil for about 5 mins after the first whistle (when the pressure is released). After cooking, allow the potatoes to cool.
Once they’ve cooled down, cut the potatoes into half-inch thick circular wedges or slices and place them into a frying pan with oil. Add the chili powder, salt, and sugar, sprinkle with black and white sesame seeds. Make sure they are properly coated with these ingredients and fry for about 10 mins.
Turn over after 5 minutes, and after 5 more minutes, your sesame potato dish is ready. Serve with lime wedges or some green chutney. They taste perfect plain too!
Cooking Tips and Tricks
- Instead of boiling the potatoes first, you can add water to the frying pan and allow the potato slices to cook here. This will however take a lot more time.
- No need to peel the skin of the potatoes. The skin is healthy and hides a lot of nutrients underneath, so eating potato skins is good. Only be sure to clean or scrub them thoroughly before boiling.
- Replace the sugar with honey for a healthier dish.
- You can use either black or white til (sesame) or a mix of both.
- Sprinkle these sesame potatoes with lime or lemon juice before serving.
- Serve with some Indian green chutney or green pista chutney or on their own!
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Sand cake – my sister’s glutenfree version
- Semolina Date and Orange cake
- Guava Cheese
- East Indian Kulkuls
- East Indian Date Rolls
- Mustard Chicken with wine
- Turmeric Rice
- Mutton Paya Khudi aka Goat Feet Curry
- How to make Ginger Wine Recipe
- Raw Mango Salad
You can print off the list of ingredients and instructions to follow for making this recipe via the recipe card below (for home use only).
If you really loved our recipe, please leave us 5-stars with your review below!
Did you try making this recipe? Make sure to share your delicious creations by tagging us on Instagram or join TheWingedFork Facebook group and share your lovely food pics and results of your food experiments there!
Easy Sesame Potato Side Dish
Click the stars to add your rating!
- 300 g Potatoes
- 500 ml Water To boil
- 2 tbsp Oil To fry
- 1.5 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Black Sesame Seeds
- 1 tbsp White Sesame Seeds
- Washing the potatoes and removing any dirt and potato eyes.
- Put the potatoes in a pressure cooker and allow them to boil for about 5 mins after the first whistle (when the pressure is released). (3 to 5 minutes after reaching full pressure in an Instant pot.)
- After cooking, allow the potatoes to cool.
- Once the potatoes have cooled, cut them into circular half-inch thick circular slices and place them into a frying pan with oil.
- Add chili powder, salt, and sugar and fry for about 5 mins.
- Sprinkle with black and white sesame seeds and cook about 5 mins more.
- And your sesame potato dish is ready!
Please click to rate the recipe!
- If you do not use the pressure cooker or Insant pot, allow the potato slices to cook in the frying pan with water for 20 to 30 minutes first.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with sour lime or lemon juice.
- It’s not necessary to peel the potato skin but wash them thoroughly before use.
- You can replace the sugar with honey for a healthier dish.