Heart-shaped cookies are an easy bake for Valentine’s Day or any other time of the year! Ready in an hour, treat your loved ones to some scrumptious cookies.
Wondering about what to do this Valentine’s Day to make the day special for that special someone or your loved ones? Do you think the classic roses and chocolate is old-fashioned or a romantic dinner out is cliche because it’s too crowded? If you want to do something special at home itself, why not bake a special homemade treat to warm your loved one’s heart? These easy to make delicious heart-shaped cookies are the perfect way to show your love.
What ingredients do you need to make Heart Cookies?
All you need is love! And apart from that you require all-purpose flour, sojee (semolina), powdered sugar, butter, egg, vanilla essence, and baking powder.
How to make Heart shaped Cookies?
Mix the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and powdered sugar and then add in the butter and egg. Lastly, add the sojee and vanilla essence. Knead the dough into a ball and wrap it in clingfilm or saran wrap. Refrigerate this overnight.
In the morning, remove the dough from the fridge and make 2 parts of the dough. Add pink or red colour to one part and mix well.
If you have heart shaped cookie cutters, you can use those. But we don’t so we shape the hearts by hand. Now the question you’re asking is how to make heart shaped cookies without using cookie cutters? Right?
Use some of the uncoloured dough and some of the pink coloured dough and flatten them into small mixed colour triangles. Curve the 3 edges and on the top side make a dent to form the shape of a heart, as you can see below. Place these hearts on a tray lined with baking paper.
You can then decorate the hearts as you like. We have used silver beads and a red edible ink pen to make the additional heart shape in the 3rd and 4th rows.
Bake in the oven at 200 degrees Celsius or 390 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 to 20 mins and your tasty homemade heart cookies are ready! They’re the perfect Valentine’s Day treat! Allow these to cool for a while and then you can share them with your loved ones.
Cooking Tips And Tricks
- Refrigerate the dough overnight or for just a few hours. Just 30 minutes of resting time is fine if you need to make it in a hurry.
- Use a different food flavour instead of vanilla if you want a different taste. Almond or strawberry or butterscotch are great!
- Want to try a different handmade shape. Try these rose cookies or these apple pie cookies.
- You can use different colors to make multi-colored hearts or single hearts as you like.
- You can make these cookies at any time of the year.
- You can use the same dough to make other shapes too.
- Store leftover dough in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
FAQ’s About Heart Shaped Cookies
How long can the dough be kept?
You can store the dough for 2 weeks in the refrigerator or for 3 months in the freezer. Thaw in the fridge before using.
Can I use cow ghee instead of butter?
Yes, you can use cow ghee if you want a slightly healthier option.
Can I make other shapes?
Yes, of course! You can form this dough into any shape you like or even using cookie cutters. Change the shapes depending on the theme of the function you are baking them for.
How long can I store these cookies for?
These cookies can be stored in an air-tight container for about 2 to 3 weeks at room temperature.
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Date And Walnut Cake For Christmas And Special Days
- East Indian Sweet Shells – KulKuls Recipe
- Red Pumpkin Halwa (Kaddu Ka Halwa)
- Indian Bottle Gourd Halwa (Dudhi Or Lauki Halwa)
- Semolina Date And Orange Cake
- Gluten Free Vegetarian Strawberry Bread Recipe
- Tasty Naralchi Wadi Or Kopra Pak Recipe
- Christmas Cookies Recipe (Vegetarian)
- East Indian Guava Cheese Recipe
- Chocolate Chip Coconut Cake Recipe
- How To Make East Indian Date Rolls?
- Traditional East Indian Vanilla Cream Recipe
You can print off the list of ingredients and instructions to follow for making this recipe via the recipe card below (for home use only).
If you really loved our recipe, please leave us 5-stars with your review below!
Did you try making this recipe? Make sure to share your delicious creations by tagging us on Instagram or join TheWingedFork Facebook group and share your lovely food pics and results of your food experiments there!
Easy Valentine’s Day Heart Cookies
Click the stars to add your rating!
- 300 g All purpose flour
- 1.5 tsp Baking Powder
- 200 g Semolina (Sojee)
- 250 g Butter
- 1 Egg
- 200 g Powdered Sugar
- 10 ml Vanilla Essence
- Pink Food Colour As required.
- Mix the all purpose flour, baking powder, powdered sugar together.
- Add in the butter and egg and mix well.
- Then add the semolina/sojee and vanilla essence.
- Knead the dough into a ball and wrap it in cling film or saran wrap.
- Refrigerate this overnight or for a few hours as your time allows. (If in a hurry, 30 minutes of refrigeration will work too.)
- Divide the dough into 2 parts, add pink colour to one part and mix well.
- Take some of the uncoloured dough and some pink coloured dough and make mixed coloured triangles.
- Curve the edges and make a dent on the top to get the shape of a heart. (If you have cookie cutterrs, you can use those too.)
- Place the heart cookies on the tray and decorate as you like with edible ink or beads.
- Bake in an oven for 20 mins at 200 degrees Celsius or 390 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once done, allow to cool for a while before serving.
Please click to rate the recipe!
- Refrigerate for just a few hours or even just for 30 minutes if you need to make it in a hurry.
- Use different food flavours instead of vanilla if you want a different taste.
- You can use different colors to make multi-color hearts or one colour hearts.
- You can make these cookies at any time of the year and can change the shape as per your party theme.