Coconut Cordial is one of the easiest East Indian Christmas sweets to make. And it tastes yummy too! Granny has always made the coconut version of cordial. Some people use almonds or cashewnuts instead of coconut. We’ve never tried that recipe for “Cordial No 1” as it’s called in the East Indian Recipe book.
We’re quite satisfied with our Cordial No 2, although we do tweak the recipe a bit to make it less sweet. Anyways, here’s the recipe.
Recipe for Gluten-Free Coconut Cordial
Grind one fresh coconut with one chowni (East Indian wine glass) of rose water. That’s the 30 ml chowni. You’ll need approximately 225 gms of the coconut. Keep it aside. Also butter a thali (flat round dish) before hand and keep aside.
Then take 300 gms of granulated sugar and make a mel (thick sugar syrup) with half a cup of water.
Add the ground coconut to the sugar mel and stir over a low flame.
Add a few drops of color and continue to stir till its quite dry and leaves the sides. We always add pink, because granny always made it pink.
Pour the mixture into the buttered thali.
Butter a small vessel and use it to flatten the mixture till about half centimetre thick.
Cut into diamond or square shapes.
Test a few by eating them. Okay, that’s not really part of the process. But it doesn’t hurt to taste. What do you think?
Okay, that’s it for our granny’s easy to make East Indian (coconut) Cordial recipe that’s gluten-free. Is it similar to your Christmas cordial? Comment and let me know.
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Indian Custard Powder Halwa
- Beef Tongue Roast Recipe
- Date and Orange cake
- East Indian Vanilla Cream for Christmas
- Mutton Paya Curry
- Naralchi Wadi, a Konkan Coconut Dessert
- Special East Indian Chicken Tope
- Pork Vindaloo
- Ginger Wine
- Tomato and Carrot Soup Recipe
Did you try out this recipe? Give us your review below! And make sure to share your delicious creations by tagging us on Instagram or join TheWingedFork Facebook group and share your lovely food pics and results of your food experiments there!
East Indian (Coconut) Cordial Recipe
- 225 g Coconut Fresh and ground
- 100 ml Water Equals half a cup
- 30 ml Rose water One chowni
- 3 drops Food Colour
- 300 g Sugar granulated
- Grind one fresh coconut with one chowni aka wine glass (30 ml) of rose water and set aside.
- Butter a thali (flat round dish) and set aside.
- Make a mel (thick sugar syrup) with the sugar and half a cup of water.
- Add the ground coconut to the sugar mel and stir over a low flame.
- Add food color and continue stirring till quite dry.
- Pour the mixture into the buttered thali (flat round dish).
- Spread it out and flatten with a buttered pot till approximately half centimetre thick.
- Cut into diamond or square shapes and leave to dry.
If you’re looking for more information about our East Indian food and culture, click here.