The monsoon and winter come around and it’s time for flus and colds. But it’s also time for some chicken soup for the soul. Or that’s what we call it.
Why chicken soup?
Mom’s easy homemade chicken soup provides that instant relief from the weather’s vagaries. Mom’s creamy yet healthy chicken soup gets us bouncing around in no time, come rainy showers or winter chills.
I bet everyone says that about their mom’s homemade chicken soup, especially our Jewish friends with their golden clear broth that was once called “Jewish Penicillin”.
We love having chicken soup no matter the weather. It’s one of our favorite foods; we can have it for lunch or dinner. We love helping to debone the chicken and munch on the chicken bones. You know it’s good for calcium. Always trust the oldies. And stirring in the egg till it forms lovely threads in the soup is always fun!
Anyways, if you’re looking for a new take on how to prepare chicken soup, here’s my mother’s simple chicken soup recipe.
How to make chicken soup from scratch?
First peel the potatoes. Then boil a kilo of chicken, with the sweet corn, potatoes, chillies and 4.5 litres of water. This boiling of everything together for the stock lends the perfectly yummy and slightly spicy taste to the chicken soup. Turn off the flame when the chicken is tender and potatoes are mushy.
Then turn off the flame, and take the chicken and potatoes out. Shred the chicken and mash the potatoes. Sis and I love this part because well, while shredding the chicken, we also get to crunch on the bones and get some calcium for our bones, just like the oldies said. Then add the chicken and potatoes back to the pot along with sugar and salt and boil on a low flame.
Once it starts to boil again, make a mixture of the cornflour and water and pour in while stirring continuously.
Once the soup has thickened, beat the eggs in a small bowl.
Then pour it into the soup while again stirring continuously.
The egg starts to form lovely threads. Leave the soup on the flame for 2 to 5 minutes before turning the stove off.
Serve the soup with toast or just eat it plain. Either way, good riddance to your cold and a warm satisfied feeling in your tummy.
While learning how to cook chicken soup from Mom we also found out that mom’s recipe is also a gluten-free chicken soup recipe. How awesome is that!
Mom’s easy homemade gluten free chicken soup ingredients
- 1 kg Chicken
- 8 Chillies
- 300 g Sweet Corn
- 4 Potatoes Large
- 6 tbsps Corn Flour 8 for a thicker soup
- 4 Eggs Large
- 100 g Sugar
- 50 g Salt
- Peel the potatoes.
- Boil the chicken, corn, potatoes and chillies till the chicken is tender and potatoes are mushy.
- Turn off the flame.
- Take the chicken and potatoes out.
- Shred the chicken and mash the potatoes.
- Add the chicken and potatoes back to the pot along with sugar and salt and boil on a low flame.
- Once it starts to boil, make a mixture of the cornflour and water and pour in while stirring continuously.
- Once the soup has thickened, beat the eggs in a small bowl and pour in while again stirring continuously. The egg starts to form lovely threads.
- Leave on the flame for 2 to 5 minutes before turning the flame off.
- Serve with toast or just eat plain. Good riddance to your cold.