Trusting Grace and Travelling this world with a fork!
Who is Abby?
J’ai mange des vers! Yeah, I ate worms. Well, they were crispy fried flower worms, but all the same. Worms! That’s when I figured I needed, no, ‘wanted’ to write about it, but I really didn’t know how to start a food blog. Well, it did go into my diary, but the internet is another ball game.
After forgetting about it for another thirteen months (Ha! much longer than a human gestation period), my friends finally persuaded me into blogging since they loved my trip advisor reviews and ghost travel pieces. And I met some really amazing people on my last trip that I just had to write about. So here I am!
I’m a traveller at heart. (Isn’t everybody?) And a foodie too. Well, I still get confused between a gyro and a shawarma. But I am human! I’ll bet it will happen again too, with some exotic dishes that I haven’t tasted yet. Can’t wait! What do you think?
But I digress. Back to travel. I’ve been to a few countries, have lived in tents and a friend’s private cave on the one hand, and stayed in luxurious hotels on the other. I stayed in an igloo too. Did I tell you about that? Nope, not had the chance to visit Alaska or the Nordic countries yet. But I spent the night in an eco-friendly igloo in Manali, India. Who would have thought that possible?
Every place I visit adds a few more places to my bucket list. It never ends, and I hope it never will! Well, if it did, I wouldn’t have anything to blog about.
Or maybe I would.
I could blog about food, right?
I love cooking, but I don’t have any foodie certifications. Just experimenting with a bit of this and a bit of that and turning it into something delicious. Just like mom and grand-mom. Their East Indian food is always yummier than yum! Anyways, I add in the measurements for you lovely readers. Can’t have you wondering how much a ‘handful of this’ or a ‘little of that’ is. Plus, in the words of the baker ex-BF, ‘You need precision Abby, precision!’ But really, I believe that the best dishes are always the ones made without measurements.
My friends love my cooking. (My family not so much. They say I’m fattening them up with too much food!) I love baking too. I used to help my sister sell cakes and cookies, and our traditional sweets (as a hobby) on our days off.
Work-wise, well I was in Banking and IT for a long time, and did well too! But neither were my passion. So I switched to content writing, where I’m a lot happier. Sometimes Jesus takes us down the long road to our destiny, doesn’t he? So much learning along the way…
Anyways, apart from writing about travel and reviewing food and lodgings. I freelance as a content writer ghostwriting content for finance, real estate, pharma, travel, health and food blogs to support this little blog of mine. We do have to make a living one way or another, don’t we?
Thanks for stopping by my blog. Your reads make it worth it! Oh, and if you want to read about les vers – the crispy fried worms from earlier, here you go!
Facts about moi – Abby
- I love Kiri, in both its forms. The first one being Kiri, the calcium filled yummy French cheese that’s made for children. Yup, the French ex-BF’s mum introduced me to it, and I absolutely love it. Do you? And also kiri, the udders of a goat roasted on a shig in India. It tastes like a savoury marshmallow.
- My other favourite foods are chocolate and marzipan (Okay, I know these are not really foods), paneer (Indian cottage cheese), foie de morue (Ever soft cod liver sold in tins in France that a friend introduced me to. Them French friends say it’s good for the brain.), mathiya (delicious Gujarati papad made from Math beans for Diwali), green mutton chops (only mom’s version will do), and a lot more.
- I can’t decide whether I like wine or beer more. Or was it amaretto?
- My friends and family complain that the wine I make gets them all sleepy, drowsy and lethargic. But they haven’t stopped drinking it yet, so I’ll take that as a compliment.
- I love baking and cooking. I can spend hours at a time in the kitchen. It’s relaxing.
- I have a Masters in Information and Communication Technology Management but got tired of the corporate life. Step in freelance writing. That’s my day job till now. If you want to hire me, ping me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- I love to crochet. It helps me to de-stress. And although I hardly find the time to do it nowadays; it’s one of my go-to relaxants, other than cooking and wine.
- I’m waiting for the day when I can afford to live on a farm in the middle of nowhere, with just the mountains and streams to keep me company. And maybe a few sheep and olive, almond, orange, lemon and apple trees, and tomatoes, pumpkins, and so many other things.
- My favourite fish is the fattiest one ever. It just oozes yummy sweet fatty goodness.
- My favourite authors at the moment are Max Lucado and John Eldredge. Just putting that out there in case anyone wants to gift me a book for Christmas. Wink wink! But if you want to read my favourite books, you can get them here!
- My favourite pastors. There are so many of them.
- I love listening to gospel and country music.
- I’m left-handed. Go figure!
Who is Sarah?
My amazing sister contributes to my blog when she finds something interesting that she just has to rave about (read ‘write pages about’).
Sarah has worked in travel for 15 years and specializes in Africa and other niche destinations.
She caters to clients looking to travel to niche destinations across the globe, whether it’s climbing Mount Kilimanjaro, rafting on the Zambezi River, viewing seals and penguins in Antarctica or Safaris to see the big five in Kenya and South Africa…
Her love for nature and wildlife makes her work even more enjoyable and satisfying. Armed with her Canon, she likes to take photographs and write stories that inspire you to pack your bags and run off to a faraway destination.
But that’s not all Sarah does. Sometimes she says she gets mollycoddled by me and mom into cooking mom’s famous boiled egg chilly fry or writing about our traditional chicken tope recipe or writing about her semolina and orange cake.
But what Sarah actually loves to do on the food front is bake some yummy chocolate cakes or make marzipan easter eggs or help mum make her sweet red wine mustard sauce. You could almost say she lives on the sweeter side of life!
Facts about Sarah
- She’s a travel agent by day, and a blogger by night. Well, some nights. She just blogs once in a blue moon. Which is why her blogs are precious. Wink, wink!
- Sarah does lovely Sugarcraft work. She used to sell cakes some time ago.
- She’s in love with Africa.
- Sarah is afraid of birds fluttering overhead but loves taking pictures of them.
- Because of her smile, she was once offered a job as a toothpaste model but didn’t take it.
- Her favorite colour is blue. Isn’t everyone’s?
Ad: Hey reader! Are you planning a trip here? My sis Sarah is a travel specialist with over 15 years of experience. But you already know that from her blogs, don’t you? For customized tours to this amazing destination and others across Africa, Asia and Europe, connect with Sarah at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org and give her code TWF1717 for a 10% discount!
Who is The Soz?
The Soz also contributes to my blog.
The Soz often takes to the skies. However the majority of the time these gravity defying feats are for business and not pleasure. Well except for the time she went on the Hackett Nevis Swing. That was for pleasure, wasn’t it? Wink, wink!
Although she flies a lot for business, it does not stop her from flying once again to go where no Soz has gone before.
Saying that… The Soz says that reading about her is not as interesting as reading about the places she’s been. So scroll on to her posts and let the adventures begin!
Facts about The Soz
- The Soz is a pilot.
- She recently learned how to skin a lamb.
- The Soz has beautiful blue eyes.
- She makes a mean mushroom in butter garlic sauce.
- The Soz is great with horses.
Who is Paps?
My friend Paps has also decided to become a regular contributor to the blog.
This is what he has to say:
“Hey this is paps, this is my blog,
Here you’ll find stories from my travelling log;
I’ve been to places but not a lot,
These are stories of what I’ve seen and thought;
Small tales of places I’ve been to
So go on have a browse, have a read through.”
Facts about Paps
- Paps lives on a farm with sheep and orange trees.
- He’s very good at math.
- The Paps is a die-hard fan of Elvis Presley.
- He’s got an amazing mop of hair and in another life, he was probably a model.
- Paps makes perfectly round chapatis (Indian flatbreads).
- He’s quite a funny guy.
Guest Contributions to TheWingedFork
There are also a select few from different continents and diverse cultures who have made inspiring contributions to my blog in some way or another. Here are their awesome reads!
Or would you rather read about food? Here’s what’s for breakfast and what’s for dinner in different cultures across the globe. And here’s dessert! Famous ice creams from across the globe! What more do you want?
Email me at email@example.com and let me know.
See you somewhere someday maybe. 😉